Friday, August 17, 2012

Rita Rudner: Interview

Rita Rudner: I love to write jokes and that's all I think about. I get so happy when I write a joke. It's a very satisfying, liberating feeling. If I say a joke and the audience laughs it makes me feel good. I'm a very simple person. I'm very shallow. Shallow, simple, easily pleased: that's me.

Ben Williams: When you first started stand-up, with your soft, gentle delivery, did you struggle to hold people's attention in the more rowdy clubs?

RR: I was careful not to rehearse any putdown lines or anything. I wanted to say things that were natural coming from me. If you are who you are on stage people pay attention. The only time anyone really ever heckled me was my very first time on stage. They said, “Go back to your real job” or something, and I just said, “I'm sorry, this is my first time on stage and I don't know how to respond to a heckle yet. Could you please come back and heckle me when I'm more experienced?” I was always armed with nothing. I go in armed with nothing and hope to come out alive.

Rita Rudner: Interview / By Ben Williams / Jun 9 2011 / www.timeout.com/london

No comments:

Post a Comment