Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Milling About Flashback with Jerry Seinfeld

Robin Milling: You did the TV show Benson… what part did you have?

Jerry Seinfeld: Oh, I had a very small part in there. I was the governor’s joke writer. And it wasn’t too good. The one thing I do give them credit for is they really taught me to appreciate the luxury of being able to write your own material. When you’re on a show like that and they’re telling you what jokes to do and you don’t want to do them and you have no say in the matter… I really appreciated what being a stand-up means. I never took it for granted after that experience. I really kind of hated it.

RM: Would you like to get involved in your own series?

JS: No. Not unless I could, you know, if it was done by some very high quality people… like a Cheers type of situation. Something like that. But, uh, you know, I have no desire to be part of most of the crap that you see on TV. So I could say, “Hey, I got a TV show.” That’s no big deal. Facts of Life. Things like that.

RM: (laughing) I could see it now. So tell me then what are your other aspirations.

JS: I don’t really have any. I mean, I just want to get good at this. To me its like I feel like I’m a musician,  this is my instrument, and I want to master it. So whatever else happens I’m sure I’ll end up doing a TV series. I’m sure I’ll end up doing a movie or something like that. But my real aspiration is to get good at… this. This is my thing.


Milling About Flashback with Jerry Seinfeld

No comments:

Post a Comment