Saturday, August 11, 2012

Mel Brooks Interview

Jeffrey Howard: Walt Disney once said that he could never consider the success of a film without thinking of the music that would accompany it. Is this the Mel Brooks ideology too?

Mel Brooks: No, that's not true. The first thing that comes into my head is a character, a crazy character, a desperate character, a insane character. That character would then motivate the story and other characters. As soon as he motivates the story and other characters, then three, I begin to hear the music. Music comes third in 101 in things that have to put in its place, so it's very important. Music is in the first five major things that have to happen.

---------

JH: Was it your idea to have the monster dance to "Putting On The Ritz" (in Young Frankenstein)?

MB: No, that was Gene Wilder's idea. I fought him desperately and I said, " It's going to cheapen the film and it's going to be silly, it's going to tear it..." He said, " No it's good, it's crazy and funny. It's a demonstration of the monster's agility, doing a buck and wing tapping." I said, "All right! What the hell." Everybody gives me credit for that bizarre insanity, but it was basically Gene's idea and it was my directing that helped make it work.



Lost Issue Wednesday: Mel Brooks Interview / 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment