Monday, June 18, 2012

Judd Apatow: interview

Tom Huddleston: Were ‘The 40-Year-Old Virgin’ and ‘Knocked Up’ reacting against the laziness of comedy writing in Hollywood?

Judd Apatow: I was just doing what I learned on “The Larry Sanders Show”, which is write about what you care about and be as truthful as you can. I try to make sure that whatever I do, even if it’s a really silly comedy, the people making it are obsessed with it. And it’s opened the door for a lot of people who would not otherwise be allowed to make movies.

I always hated it when people said that the stars of TV and movies should be handsome, popular guys. The history of comedy is full of guys like Buster Keaton and Jerry Lewis. Who wants to watch a handsome guy who’s smart? There’s nothing funny in that.

Judd Apatow: interview / by Tom Huddleston / Time Out London

No comments:

Post a Comment