Friday, June 29, 2012

The A.V. Club Toronto Interview: Kyle Kinane

AVC: Do you find your act has changed dramatically since you started?

Kyle Kinane: Oh for sure, man. Everything’s got to grow if you’re a human being. I was doing one-liner stuff when I started, because when you start at an open mic you only have five minutes so you’ve got to get as many jokes as you can in there. Now, everybody’s like, “Oh, you’re a storyteller.” No, I ... just got thrown into headlining earlier than maybe I was ready. Suddenly, I had to do 45 minutes, so I was like, “All right, well I’m going to draw out some of these jokes into full stories.” I think they’re working, but with some of them it’s like, “Wow, you’re just talking out of your ass with that thing.” You definitely get to dive into stuff with the storytelling. But if somebody doesn’t like something two minutes in, it’s like, “All right, well this is a 12-minute-long story. If you don’t like it now, who knows if you’ll like it in 10 minutes.” It’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but nothing should be everybody’s cup of tea.

The A.V. Club Toronto Interview: Kyle Kinane / By Phil Brown December 8, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment