Sunday, June 3, 2012

Everybody Loves Rodney!

''Man, I've been depressed ALL my life,'' he (Rodney Dangerfield) says with a growling sigh. ''See that kid on the pony in the picture there in the book?'' he asks, referring to a childhood photo reproduced in his memoir. ''Is that a happy face? Kid is sitting there worried, man, worried.'' In the book, Rodney is tough on his absentee father, a vaudevillian ladies' man (''I feel awkward referring to my father as 'Dad'''), and his ''coldhearted and selfish'' mother.

But again, doesn't going out and killing a room help make up for all that?

''When you're a kid and you're breaking in and you start making 'em laugh, you feel good, hey, you're doing good now, you know?'' he counters. ''After you've done 5,000 shows, it gets difficult to feel good, you know what I mean? It's your 'job' to make 'em laugh.''

Everybody Loves Rodney! / By Gregory Kirschling / ew.com / May 28, 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment