Tuesday, May 29, 2012

WTF with Marc Maron / Episode 251: Matt Graham

Matt Graham: …and those guys really found their true voice. And I don’t think I ever really did that because of my commitment to the joke telling school or whatever. The fact (is) that I sewed myself in, into that conceptual joke school. You know, based on Steven Wright’s influence. And I liked that stuff…

Marc Maron: It’s almost like math, in a way.

MG: In a way. And I love it, you know, like I mean the things I do are math. But anybody who knows me knows how hyper-verbal and kinetic and wired I am. So I was always kind of at cross-purposes with myself.

----------

MG: But I couldn’t bomb and not comment on it. You know, if I bomb then I digressed and whatever. So that’s one thing. I never really found my true voice. And that was through… and that’s the other thing I point to which is just laziness and alcoholism. You know what I mean? Two things which are not going to… if you’re already lazy, and I was before I started drinking heavily every day, then you’re not going to have a work ethic. And you still need, you know, I know some of these other people that they had drive and a work ethic, you know?

MM: I think your true voice might have been that moment of digression. You know when your anger was focused it was fuckin’ frightening. Your precision at gutting somebody, almost instantaneously, was tremendous.

WTF with Marc Maron / Episode 251: Matt Graham / aprox 19:00

No comments:

Post a Comment