Monday, May 28, 2012

Julia Louis-Dreyfus: From 'Seinfeld' To 'Veep'

Dave Davies: Elaine Benes (Seinfeld) and Christine from New Adventures (of Old Christine) are both working women and really kind of insecure. Is there comedy in the insecurity?

Julia Louis-Dreyfus: Absolutely. There’s no comedy in security. And I don’t think there’s any comedy in things working out well. Conflict is where what’s interesting. And I love playing that undercurrent of a lack of confidence. I think I can tap into it very easily. And um, but yeah, insecurity is great fun.

DD: I have to ask, are you really insecure as an actress? Most people will never have a hit like Seinfeld.

JLD: Um, yes, there is, I do have, I am insecure. Of course I am. Who isn’t? Who isn’t insecure? Can I just say that? Who isn’t? And also, in showbiz particularly, you know, you sort of… it’s kind of an unforgiving business, um, in case you hadn’t noticed. So it’s like whatever your last job is, is sort of like ‘are you in, are you out’… it’s very fickle and it can be very nasty and you know, so that plays into the security thing. For sure, you know? I fight it. I try not to give it any credence or anything like that but you know, easy come easy go.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus: From 'Seinfeld' To 'Veep' / NPR Fresh Air Weekend / Interview by Dave Davies / May 5, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment