Friday, May 4, 2012

Charlie Rose: An hour with actor Jim Carrey

Jim Carrey: I did 15 years in the comedy clubs before I really started acting… which is a PHD of some kind.

Charlie Rose: Well it’s a PHD of being able to relate to an audience.

JC: Yeah, yeah… handling drunks.

CR: You told me a story that was amazing, at the comedy club, near the tailend. We were talking about all the people had been a part of that sort of career that you saw in stand up when you were doing stand up and impressions and all of that. Richard Pryor backstage and saying to you…

JC: “I’m not sure that I’m funny right now. You know, I don’t really feel funny.” And you know, there was a period where he went up on stage and he would say that to the audience as well. And the audience would try to support him. They would say, “No, you are, you are! We know you are!” And it was a tough time he went through. You know, when he was getting sober. And he was trying to figure out what he was about. And I think he had lost a lot of… this is the thing, its like, God, you better own it. You know? Whatever it is, you better own it.

CR: I know, I know. I understand that.

Charlie Rose: An hour with actor Jim Carrey / aprox. 24:10

No comments:

Post a Comment