Friday, May 18, 2012

Comedy Is Not Pretty. And Neither Is Gallagher’s Act

Ed Condran: You’ve received considerable grief from critics for using props.

Gallagher: In the early days, Jay Leno told me that props are the enemy of wit. Now Jay uses props on his show all the time. Dave (Letterman) has smashed things on his show and has worn a Teflon suit. (Editor’s note: Actually, Letterman occasionally wears a Velcro suit.) All that has that Gallagher flair, but I’m not on their shows. It’s amazing. Dave and I used to work the same club in the (San Fernando) Valley all the time.

EC: Why won’t Jay Leno or David Letterman book you for their shows, considering you started out together?

G: I don’t know. Johnny (Carson) hated me, and I was on his “Tonight Show.”

Comedy Is Not Pretty. And Neither Is Gallagher’s Act / By Ed Condran / Original article from The Oregonian / 2005?

No comments:

Post a Comment