Sunday, May 27, 2012

Fitzdog Radio: Russell Peters

Russell Peters: I always tell (Bill) Burr, I go, “Listen Burr, I don’t ever want to go on after you.” He goes, “Fuck you, you made me go on after you in Toronto.” I go, “It doesn’t matter, you’re Bill Burr.” That’s the bottome line. There’s three guys: There’s Bill Burr, There’s Louis C.K., and Patrice. You don’t want to go on after them.

Greg Fitzsimmons: I know. Well, I’d put (Dave) Attell up there.

RP: Oh fuck yeah, Attell. Anytime I don’t want to go on after Dave.

GF: But we were talking about that before. You do it in New York long enough; It makes you such a stronger comic because it forces you, before you go on to go, “Who am I?” Don’t be that guy, don’t go on that energy. You gotta give 30 seconds to the crowd to settle. Show ‘em that you fuckin’ mean business. You don’t have to talk a lot. You stare ‘em down. And then you begin.

RP: That’s what Patrice and Keith Robinson taught me in ’96.

GF: Really?

RP: At that point I’d been doing stand-up for 7 years and they were like, “You need to go on stage…” You know Keith… you know how Keith is, “You need to go on stage and stop that fuckin’ horseshit. No nigga, you go on stage and you take that shit. You take that shit, nigga! You’re gonna get kicked in the fuckin’ throat up there and you’re going to like it.”

GF: (laughing) Yeah, it strips you down.

Fitzdog Radio: Russell Peters / aprox 37:00

No comments:

Post a Comment