Friday, May 11, 2012

Charlie Rose: An hour with actor Jim Carrey


Jim Carrey: ...this is the thing, its like, God, you better own it. You know? Whatever it is, you better own it.

Charlie Rose: I know, I know. I understand that.

Jim Carrey: And uh, I talked, early on with my father, who was a jazz musician. He had an orchestra up in Canada and there was a point where I was hanging out with Sam Kinison and then we were experimenting with all kinds of different craziness. And uh, and I saw, I saw people going up on stage stoned. I saw, um, incredible things being expressed and I in fact did it myself.

You know I went up on stage that way. And I remember going up one night on stage that way and having, you know, Kinison and all the rest of the gang, all the comics at the back of the club trying to heckle me. And I was unstoppable. I mean, I couldn’t be penetrated. My defenses were just right on. Man, I was loaded. And it was an amazing thing. But when I walked off the stage and they came up and said, “Man, how did that happen, what did you… what was happening there?”

You know, and I said, “It’s not me. I’m high. I can’t own this.” 

You can’t own it. You can’t own it. You know. So what’s the use of having it? I mean that’s the worst thing in the world to get to a certain point in your life where you receive accolades and things like that and go, and go, secretly to yourself, “I wonder if I could’ve done it if I was, you know…” 

That’s not a... I choose early on to never go that route.

Charlie Rose: An hour with actor Jim Carrey / aprox. 24:10

No comments:

Post a Comment