Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Ari Shaffir's Skeptic Tank #32: Hollywood Director


Neal Brennan: I don't know if I've ever explained the entire process of a movie. So I did... I created the Chappelle Show with Dave (Chappelle) and basically its like being a good  high school basketball player. You just get recruited by...

--------

Neal Brennan: So when you do a good thing on TV or you make a short you get on these approved lists.

Ari Shaffir: If you as a screenwriter…

NB: Generally its as a director. There’s a whole ‘nother screenwriting list. That’s a whole ‘nother list.

AS: Did you write ‘The Goods’?

NB: No. I was on the list during ‘Half Baked’ and subsequent years. I’m probably still on some list. I’m just so far down. ‘Cause you have to renew it every year. You have to write a good script every year and a half and I just haven’t written…

--------

NB: So they send me… They’ve sent me every comedy script for the last 7 years. Every ‘You, Me & Dupree’, the ice skating movie (Blades of Glory), ‘The Brothers Solomon’, fuckin’ ‘Horrible Bosses’. Literally, "Would you be interested in directing this?"

AS: Superbad…

NB: Superbad they sent me. I just never read it.

AS: Who directed the ice skating movie?

NB: They guys who directed the Geico commercials with the caveman.

AS: Wow.

NB: They were hot from that. So then they got… the ice skating movie I was up for. They really wanted me for that.

AS: So they just gauge your interest and then ‘we’ll talk’?

NB: Yeah, but when we talk… I’m pitching.

AS: You’re pitching yourself?

NB: Yeah. As how I would… what I would make the movie look like.

AS: Who do you talk to?

NB: You talk to the studio head and the producer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment