Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Joe Rogan Experience: Podcast #174

Joe Rogan: Well that bit was the only bit that, in the history of my act, where I had to change my act because of the bit… twice! Once I had to change my act because of the bit because it was bombing so bad I thought there was no… nowhere it was going to get good. This bit is going to eat me… I gotta get rid of it. Its fucking me up… sometimes you commit to a good idea and the good idea somewhere along the line, along the development process, falls apart. And then its not funny anymore but you’re still committing to it so you have to do this bit and while you’re doing this bit no-one’s laughing and its just weird.

And then somewhere along the line I realized that what I was doing was… The bit was about watching tigers fuck and it makes you feel like so inadequate… when you watch these wild predators and they’re just fucking on television and there’s no warning about it. And I realized that the only way… what I’m doing right now is I’m explaining how these tigers are fucking and the people are not feeling it… they’re not feeling it.

What I gotta do is  be the tiger. You gotta be that tiger. You gotta throw yourself  into that thing where he’s fucking and you know I forget the words to the bit but you know the point of it was that it was so primal that you know there was, there was nothing, no…

Eddie Bravo: Your tiger voice is amazing.

JR: I just decided… You gotta think like you’re an animal. I mean, I think its… look, the narrow perception of that animal must be pretty fucking simple, “Fuck, Kill, Sleep… that’s the menu” that’s part of the bit and that’s what I was thinking, like when if you’re thinking like a tiger there’s not a whole lot of variables going on.

Then I worried about politics and shit. They’ve got laser beam focus on fucking and killing. And they’re giant. You know, you gotta think like that. Then the bit became so strong that I had to put it at the end. Because I put it in the middle because it was dying, you know, I would do it and it would eat a dick and then I would still have my good stuff to pull myself out and maybe I could joke around a bit, “Well it was pretty funny to me when I was writing it, heh heh heh” and then I’d pull myself out of it.

But then it got to a point where I couldn’t leave it in the middle because it was just slaying. Once I figured out how to be the tiger, and I would do this violent fuck thing where I’d throw the fucking stool down and roar… (editors note: listen to the podcast to hear Joe Rogan growl like a tiger)

No comments:

Post a Comment