Sunday, April 29, 2012

Bullseye with Jesse Thorn / Guest: Marc Maron

Jesse Thorn: To you it seemed like the idea that you were doing well seemed like you had an opportunity to do something, to go further, in order to do less well.

Marc Maron: Well, I think that what that is, is not so much less well as that, like, I get the, sometimes I get the feeling that like, when I do bits that work and uh, uh, especially like now, I just got done with like, really 6 months on the road, and I’m very tired of the bits but all the bits I’ve been doing for the last few months have evolved. And some of them are very new, and I’m very happy with them but, but there… I think its more about not self sabotage, but more like, “Okay, you think you know me? How about this now?”

JT: I feel that you were requiring something more of the audience rather…. That you see this as an opportunity to like, to push the audience more…

MM: Well I, I think that’s true and I’m not sure that I can exactly tell you where that comes from but a lot of what you’re saying… the agenda is not so much to find something that isn’t funny that, that I can try to make funny but it is how I write. And a lot of times when I’ve got an audience that has loved me for a half-hour and that I can do no wrong by, part of me thinks, “Well let’s see… this just happened… or I have not been able to process this on stage yet…” so these people like me, so let’s take it out. You know, let’s put it out there, and see if I can make it funny. And that doesn’t always work. But it’s really where the process starts.

Bullseye with Jesse Thorn / Guest: Marc Maron / 10.23.11

No comments:

Post a Comment