Saturday, April 28, 2012

The AV Club Interview: Joan Rivers

AVC: The scenes where you’re doing standup are much rawer than people might expect.

Joan Rivers: Comedy is raw; that’s what comedy is today, and that’s where I’m at today. I always say—I go to play Cleveland, Ohio, and I always tell the interviewers, the ones doing the pre-press, “Don’t come for a walk down memory lane.” Those people shouldn’t come. It isn’t going to be grandma jokes. I think I even say that in the film, because my comedy has always been strong and outrageous, and that’s just where it is today.

------

AVC: In a movie, you don’t get to pick the take they use, but onstage, you’re essentially autonomous, unless the audience doesn’t want to hear it.

JR: If they really hate you, but you’re still autonomous enough that you can turn to another subject. Bill Cosby, who’s a friend, said, “I go out there and I work very hard for about five minutes. If they don’t like me, I go into automatic.” I go out there, I work very hard for five minutes, and if they don’t like me, I work harder. I go to the very end. I think, “Maybe you want to talk about… babies!” I punch the end.

The AV Club Interview: Joan Rivers / June 9, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment