Monday, September 24, 2012

Interview: Judd Apatow and Director Nicholas Stoller on 'The Five-Year Engagement'

Laura Aguirre: In the Apatow universe, what are the hallmarks of a successful comedy?

Judd Apatow: We like comedies that are truthful and when people reveal something personal.

Nicholas Stoller: Like Jason’s (Segel) penis.

JA: In any type of art or music or movies, I always connect when someone is telling me something that I know means a lot to them. Whether it’s a song, like when you say, “I don’t think that person’s kidding around, Kurt Cobain means that.” I think it’s the same for comedy. You can tell when people are passionate about something. There’s just a quality to it when someone’s just funny and knows what they are doing. Why things work is hard to define, but originality also.

LA: Are you good at identifying real moments?

JA: I’m a fan of television and movies and I’ve seen a lot. When we are kicking around ideas, there’s always a moment when we’ll say, “Oh I saw that in that Salma Hayek movie. Let’s not do that, let’s see if we can think of something different.” Even if we liked it in the Salma Hayek movie. The question is, what’s a new way to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment